Tuesday, August 7, 2007

[07.08.2007] Wu Chun is back to get Bruneians fit

Debbie Too

KIULAP
07-Aug-07

GOH Kiat Chun, otherwise more popularly known as 'Wu Chun', is back in Brunei. And he is not only opening a new gym, Fitness Zone, but also creating more jobs for local, and bringing more fans from abroad.

He talked about the developments of his new gym, Fitness Zone, which is located in Kiulap, to the press yesterday.

Although the date of the opening was pushed back a little from the planned schedule, it didn't affect his spirit.

Chun explained that "the difficulty was due to the fact that he personally wanted to oversee the entire project, and it was difficult to do so while he was in Taiwan completing his various other projects".

"From the start to the finish, I wanted to be hands-on this gym. So, I monitored everything, from the initial plan to the designs and the drawings. I did all that," he tried to explain.

"But sometimes, when I flew back from Taiwan, there were things that didn't go according to the plan and needed to be changed or corrected," mentioned Chun.

The opening of the new gym came with a ripple effect. It creates not just a number of new jobs for locals and foreigners, but also a small boost in tourism.

Over 50 foreign fans from Taiwan are coming, also from Japan and China. On top of that, foreign media come as well to cover opening.

"Previously, we had a total of 15 employees, but right now there are about 45 employees working for Fitness Zone, not including the hotel staff in the Palm Garden Hotel, the adjoining hotel next to the Kiulap Fitness Zone," he added.

"I'm very happy and grateful that I can help promote Brunei as well. There is a travel program in Taiwan which is interested in filming Brunei. But unfortunately now I do not have the time. I am also grateful that I have the support of Brunei Tourism to promote Brunei," he said.

When asked about the health brochures lying around at his gym, Chun explained that he had asked his staff members to make a trip down to the Ministry of Health, where these brochures were obtained from. He, then, displayed it in his gym to promote healthy lifestyle.

"Health and healthy living is important for me, especially to educate the Bruneians about what healthy living is. Bruneians should just know how to burn whatever they are consuming," said Chun.

"Personally for me, I believe that prevention is better than cure, and because I love to eat so much, I must know how to burn what I take in, to prevent complications or illnesses when I'm getting older," he added.

The gym will be a nice place to hang around. There are current plans for a juice bar to be built in the member's lounge of the gym.

Chun is leaving Brunei today for an event in Hong Kong, but he will be back in time for the opening ceremony.The opening ceremony on Friday will include a number of activities and prizes and a special autograph and picture taking session with Wu Chun.

Courtesy of The Brunei Times

No comments: